ForestRails is a story of logging and short line railroads
and the role they played in the growth
and success of the diverse operations of Georgia-Pacific, a major Fortune 500 Company, also known as
the “Growth Company.” Once lumbermen realized the benefits of a steel wheel on a steel rail, they embraced
the technology and railroads became essential in hauling trees from the forests for sawing into lumber and later
in the manufacture of paper, plywood and other forest products. The author describes herein the diverse operations
of the Georgia-Pacific railroads from the perspective of having been president of ten of the 16 short line railroads
described herein. The forest products industry has also long relied on the rails for delivery of its output to customers.
From chattering steam locomotives to growling diesels, from railroad logging to truck and tractor logging, and from
logging tram roads to modern short line common carrier railroads, nearly every facet of logging and short line railroad
operations in the United States is described somewhere in this history. Railroads owned by G-P include (1) Feather River,
(2) Oregon, Pacific & Eastern, (3) Fordyce & Princeton, (4) Ashley, Drew & Northern; (5) Arkansas, Louisiana & Mississippi;
(6) Brimstone; (7) Carolina Western; (8) California Western; (9) Amador Central; (10) Gloster Southern; (11) Valdosta Southern;
(12) Marinette, Tomahawk & Western; (13) Chattahoochee Industrial; (14) Old Augusta; (15) Blue Rapids;
(16) Moscow, Camden & San Augustine. Lumber and Logging railroads include: (1) C. D. Johnson, Toledo, OR;
(2) Coos Bay, Coos ‘Bay, OR; (3) Hammond, Samoa, CA; (4) Meadow River, Rainelle, WVA; (5) W. M. Ritter, Swandale, WVA.
ORDERS NOW BEING ACCEPTED. NO CHARGE FOR AUTOGRAPHS.
HARDCOVER-464 PAGES—28 MAPS—586 PHOTOS ORDER YOUR
AUTOGRAPHED COPY TODAY
DIRECTLY FROM THE AUTHOR!
$63.95 plus $5.00 shipping $68.95 Save $16.00 off of list price. Payment by Personal Check, U. S. Postal Money Order or Paypal.
Send orders and payment to:
Only 2,000 copies printed for worldwide sale—they are expected to sell fast! ORDER A COPY FOR YOUR FAVORITE RAILFAN—A GREAT GIFT FOR ANYONE INTERESTED IN THE TRANSPORTATION HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES.
Help Support the Tap Lines Website
My Photo Collection Catalog
5x7 ($5) - 8x10($8) - 11x14($11)
Museum Quality Heavy Weight Prints
Available Direct from my Studio
Official Guide and Equipment Registers on CD
Builders Lists, Poors Manuals, Photo CDs
Available from: Amazon