Gulf Florida & Alabama #2 pulling th first train on January 1, 1913.
The Gulf Florida and Alabama Railway had its roots in the Pensacola
& Mobile Railroad & Manufacturing Co. beginning in February of
1861. The P&MRR&M built a 5 mile line between Muscogee on
the Perido River east to the mainline of the Alabama & Florida RR.
A sawmill was built at Muscogee and the lumber was either floated down
the river to Perido Bay or shipped over the railroad to the A&F.
Unfortunately the War between the States was soon upon the
country and the Confederate government pulled up the rails and took the
locomotives of both railroads. This damage was not undone until 1877,
when the P&MRR&M rebuilt the five foot gauge railroad from
Cantonment, FL on the L&N to Muscogee (5.5 miles) and across the
river and Alabama border towards Bay Minette, AL. The Muscogee Lumber
Co. purchased the P&MRR&M at a foreclosure sale in October of
1881. The Muscogee Lumber Co. operated the railroads until its purchase
by the Southern State Lumber Co. in December of 1906. Southern States
developed the line towards Gateswood on one branch and Local, AL on the
main line for logging use. Souther States in 1911 decided to develop a
route into Pensacola bypassing the L&N. They also wanted to reach
the Southern Ry and the Frisco, which would give them more routes
to markets and save them from being a captive to the L&N.
Florida & Alabama was incorporated on February 6th, 1911, but they
didn't take over the trackage of the Southern States Lumber Co. until
late 1911. The Pensacola to Jonesville mainline was finished by
January 18, 1913 and later finished to Kimbrough, Alabama in 1916. The
GF&A would do no more construction and would be placed in
receivership on May 9, 1917. The GF&A would continued under a
receiver until April 8th, 1922, when it was taken over by the Muscle
Shoals, Birmingham & Pensacola Railway. Unable to acquire
financing, the Muscle Shoals Company was itself placed under
receivership on March 4, 1924 and resold on July 1, 1924 purchased by a
Syndicate, which represented the St. Louis-San Francisco RR (Frisco).
The railroad was soon rebuilt and the lines were pushed north to a
Frisco connection at Amory, Mississippi. By November 14, 1925 the
Frisco assume full control of the property, which they operated until
the 1980 merger with the Burlington Northern. The BNSF
would later sale this line off to the Alabama & Gulf Coast Railway
in 1997, a part of RailAmerica.
A pair of photos showing # GF&A 4 with the daily passenger train, which most of the time consisted of only a short combine.
Sometimes the daily train rated two more coaches and a box car used for baggage and express.
GF&A 4 is pulling the train.
When business was good, a seven car train was assembled.
GF&A 1 is doing the honors as she is a lot more powerful the the 4 spot.
GF&A 7 has just been shopped and ready for action.
The first four locomotives were
purchased by the Eastern Construction Co. from
Central Locomotive of Chicago in
1 4-6-0 Brooks
2 4-6-0 Brooks
3 4-6-0 Brooks
4 4-6-0 Brooks
Three engines were purchased in 1914:
5 0-4-0 Wabash
/89 orig Wabash RR # 28 to Fitzhugh-Luther
12/1908 to GF&A # 5
6 4-6-0 Schenectady 4364
9/95 orig LS&MS # 139 to NYC 5086 in 1905 to HF
Wardiwell in 1913 to GF&A 6
7 4-6-0 Schenectady 4362
9/95 orig LS&MS # 225 to NYC 5092 in 1905 to
Atlantic Equipment in 1910 to GF&A 7
Two engines in 1916:
8 2-8-0 Pittsburgh
1756 12/97 orig P&LE 271, 9400, to
Vulcan Iron Works 1915 to GF&A 1916
9 2-8-0 Pittsburgh
1943 6/99 orig P&LE 279, 9408, to Vulcan
Iron Works 1915 to GF&A 1916
Two engines in 1918:
10 2-6-0 Altoona 2168 1/01 as Phila. Wilm. & Blt. #197, to PB&W after 11/02. To
PRR #5197, to #5697 (excess equipment) prior to 10/17. Sold General Equipment
for GF&A 4/30/18
2-6-0 Altoona 2081 8.99 as
Phila. Wilm. & Blt. #197, to PB&W after 11/02. To PRR #5197, to #5697
(excess equipment) prior to 10/17. Sold General Equipment for GF&A 4/30/18
Three engines in 1919:
12 2-8-0 Brooks 3626
9/00 LS&MS 739 to NYC 5739 to General Equipment to
Rogers? from State of Florida tax records
14 2-8-0 Brooks 3632
9/00 LS&MS 744 to NYC 5744 to General Equipment to
GF&A passenger coach 100, first train, January 1st, 1913.
Coal Pier, from postcard.
GF&A low side gondolas.
GF&A Browning Co. locomotive crane # 9002, on work train duty. Companion flat car 9002 is in front.
The crane was bought second hand in 1913 from Central Car & Locomotive of Chicago.
Ex GF&A depot at Pensacola, Fla after the Frisco takeover.
Employee Timetable # 2 from
March 2, 1913 shows the wonderful array of scheduled logging
trains of the Southern Lumber Co. Freemanville was an
important logging junction, where Southern States marshaled loads and
empties and dispatched trains north and south. Jonesville was an
important logging camp and those trains would head out deeper into the
This is Employee Timetable # 11
from June 22nd, 1919, a few years after the railroad reached it final
destination at Kimbrough, Alabama. Southern States was in a decline by
then and no log trains were regularly scheduled, being run as extra
To return to Taplines click here
Help Support the Tap Lines Website
5x7 ($5) - 8x10($8) - 11x14($11) - 13x19($13)
Museum Quality Heavy Weight Prints
Available Direct from my Studio
Official Guide and Equipment Registers on CD
Builders Lists, Poors Manuals, Photo CDs
eBay or Amazon